Moving For Retirement: Downsizing And Transitioning To A New Lifestyle
Aug 30, 2023
Seniors often relocate to retirement villages, aged-care facilities or other accommodations due to reasons related to financial situations, health conditions etc. This type of relocation is challenging and a major shift from their ordinary life.
Most of these accommodations are smaller than regular family homes making downsizing necessary. Additionally, many elderly people experience relocation stress syndrome stemming from leaving a familiar place, new surroundings and other reasons.
Therefore, it is essential to plan and prepare for moving for retirement. Downsizing is challenging but essential to only take things of importance and utility.
You also have to consider your mental and emotional well-being for transitioning successfully to a new lifestyle. Hiring professional removalists in Canberra is a great way to reduce moving-related stress and anxiety.
Furthermore, you can follow this guide to downsize and relocate to a new place for retirement. Have a look.
What Does Downsizing for Retirement Mean?
As your lifestyle and requirements change after retiring, downsizing during this time usually means reducing your living space, property contents and personal belongings.
It is an important step to simplify your life and focus on things and wants that make your life comfortable, less complicated and easier to manage. Here are some things that the process for downsizing for retirement includes.
- Decreasing your monthly expenditure: Since most retirees live off pensions, government welfare or other limited sources of income after retirement, it is prudent to lower their monthly expenditure.
- Decluttering your personal and property belongings to get rid of unwanted things. It is important to only keep things that serve a purpose.
- Selling your family home as its upkeep and maintenance is challenging due to financial or physical-health restrictions.
How Do You Transition into Retirement?
While many people welcome retirement initially and take the time to relax and lower the pace of their life, the process can be challenging in the long run. Therefore, if you want to transition smoothly, follow these tips.
- Review your finances well to have a retirement income plan and create a budget for everything. When moving, you must focus on budgeting to avoid financial distress. Hire professional removalists in Canberra to lower the moving expenses and stress.
- Don’t forget to keep in touch with near and dear ones. Retirement is isolating only when you make it. Thus, upon downsizing and moving to a new home, catch up with previous contacts and also make new connections at the current area.
- Be open to change and expect your daily routine to transform after retirement. Take everything as an exciting adventure and have a positive state of mind.
How Do You Move When Downsizing & How to Start the Process?
Managing a house move while downsizing is complex as it can take a toll on your mental and emotional well-being. The first step to streamline the moving process is hiring budget removalists in Canberra to handle all or some aspects of your move. But before you hire the professionals, it is best to have your downsizing plan prepared.
- Downsizing plans can include moving to an apartment in a retirement village, relocating to an aged-care facility or living with a carer at their home. You must declutter and get rid of your belongings depending on where you are moving to.
- As a rule, moving large furniture, electronics, and other bulky items is not usual. You would need utility items and every day belongings. You must prioritise things necessary to make your everyday life important.
- After you have decluttered and downsized, call near and dear ones to take things they may need. Alternatively, you can plan to resell or donate your belongings if they are in good condition and appropriate for all ages.
- Create an inventory of things you wish to pack for moving. Additionally, create a list for items you want to give away.
- Hire professional removalists in Canberra who specialise in retirement relocations and can offer full-moving service. It means they can take care of packing, transporting and unpacking.
- Notify important government and non-government authorities about your relocation and change your address in time.
- Have a retirement lifestyle vision to know what you will need at your new home and what facilities you may get at the new home.
- Downsizing to an apartment or a shared living space from a family house is daunting. Therefore, make sure to start small and gradually let go of things to make the downsizing and moving process easier and comfortable.
Downsizing your home after retirement is a logical step for most elderly people. However, it is challenging stressful and daunting. Therefore, hiring professional removalists in Canberra is a practical solution. Additionally, if you’re downsizing to move, use the insights above to handle the entire process smoothly and transition without stress.